Signpost - Ellingham and Kirby Cane

In an emergency

  • Keep calm. 
  • Do not put yourself in danger. 
  • Alert the emergency services as soon as possible.
  • Dial 999 if people are injured, or there is a threat to life, or are facing an incident or crime right now and need police help immediately.


Medical - When to call an ambulance (999)

Always call 999 (or you can use 112 anywhere in the European Union) in a medical emergency, that is if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk, for example if they have:

  • unconsciousness or slipping in and out of consciousness
  • a suspected stroke
  • heavy blood loss
  • suspected broken bones
  • a deep wound such as a stab wound
  • a suspected heart attack, see also Defibrillator
  • difficulty in breathing
  • severe burns 
  • a severe allergic reaction.

Please note - 111 is the NHS non-emergency number. Use 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice, but it is not a life-threatening situation.


Corona Virus

See NHS site.



Dial 999 if you are facing an incident or crime right now and you need police help immediately. Such emergencies may include:

  • someone using violence or threatening violence
  • there is a danger to life
  • serious damage is being or could be caused to a property
  • a potential criminal has been disturbed or apprehended
  • a road traffic collision where someone is hurt and/or a danger is being caused to other road users.
  • Please note - 101 is the number for you to call to contact the police when it's less urgent than 999. 101 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

See also, Norfolk Constabulary.


Fire & Rescue Service

In an emergency dial 999.

See also, Norfolk Fire & Rescue Service.


Other emergency numbers

Always dial 999 in life-threatening emergencies, for Police, Fire Brigade or an ambulance. 

You may call South Norfolk Council on 01508 533633 for advice guidance or assistance on:

  • major disasters
  • evacuation
  • flooding
  • sandbags
  • storm damage.


Flood alerts

0344 800 8013 Norfolk's new one stop number for flooding in our county.

The government provides a leaflet on what to do before, during and after a flood, and a flood alert web site

or you can check by telephone:

Telephone: 0345 988 1188

Textphone: 0345 602 6340

If you would like to receive live flood warnings please contact the Environment Agency Floodline on 0345 988 1188 or register for live flood warnings.

Weather forecast



South Norfolk Council has set up supplies of sandbags locally. The nearest is at


The Stone Pit (heading westwards, just beyond turning to Locks Inn, on left side)

Station Road
NR34 0HS


Please note - These sandbags are for emergency situations only, i.e. if there is an immediate risk of flooding to your home/business, where there is a concern that water is very close and could come into the premises. The sandbags from the sandbag sites are not to be stockpiled for a 'just in case' situation, as the Council has no out-of-hours arrangements to replenish the supply. If you can, during working hours, please obtain sandbags from your local building supplier.


Report a flood

If there is any risk of danger to people or property from floodwater ring 999 immediately.  This is an emergency service. 

Non-emergencies such as domestic leaks are treated differently:

  • Report a flooded road or footpath (Norfolk County Council)
  • Flooding to your property (Norfolk County Council)
    Surface water flooding (aka flash flooding) is caused when the volume of rainwater does not drain away through the existing drainage systems or soak into the ground, but flows over the ground instead. Any incidents of surface water flooding should be reported to the Water Management Team at Norfolk County Council by calling 0344 800 8020.
  • Flooding from a burst water main or sewer flooding: Anglian Water Services.



In the event of a power cut contact UK Power Networks (24 hour availability):

Note - Digital (cordless) telephone handsets will not work during a power cut, please use the landline telephone or mobile phone instead.

If you might need extra support during a power cut, or you know someone who might need help, you can apply for the Priority Services Register.



First aid https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/first-aid/

When to call 999 https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care-services/when-to-call-999/

When to use111 https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care-services/when-to-use-111/

Community emergency plans (South Norfolk Council) https://www.south-norfolk.gov.uk/residents/neighbourhood-issues/flooding-and-severe-weather/community-emergency-plans